Since the period just after World War II, these facilities have been widely used at a site for the National Sports Festival. As the second site for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, Metropolitan Komazawa Olympic Park General Sports Ground provided vibrant stories for the people of the world.
Metropolitan Komazawa Olympic Park
General Sports Ground
during the time of the Tokyo Olympics
The history of Metropolitan Komazawa Olympic Park General Sports Ground begins with the construction of two handball courts and one field hockey court for the 4th National Sports Festival held in October 1949.
A volleyball court was newly added for the 3rd Asian Games in May 1958, followed by the addition of the japanese archery range for the 14th National Sports Festival in October 1959, and were used as venues in the respective games.
Concurrent with the decision of bids for the Games of the XVIII Olympiad in 1961, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government implemented a city project to completely remodel all facilities except the japanese archery range so that they could be used as the second site for the games. Remodeling was successively completed on the following six facilities: athletic fields, gymnasium, indoor ball sports field, No.1 ball sports ground, no.2 ball sports ground, and Supported Sports Ground. These facilities were used as venues for soccer, wrestling, volleyball, and field hockey during the 1964 Summers Olympics, where they delivered a strong impression to the people of Japan and the world.
|June 1949||Determined as an auxiliary site for the 4th National Sports Festival|
|October 1949||New construction of two handball courts and one field hockey court, which were used in the 4th National Sports Festival|
|January 1953||Use of the sub-track begins (track-and-field, rugby, soccer, football, handball, field hockey)|
|September 1953||Completion of a regulation baseball diamond (Komazawa ball park, near present day no.2 ball sports ground)|
|May 1958||Hosts the 3rd Asian Games (used as a venue for volleyball)|
|May 1959||Tokyo is chosen to host the Games of the XVIII Olympiad (Metropolitan Komazawa General Sports Ground is chosen as the second site)|
|October 1959||Completion of the japanese archery range for the 14th National Sports Festival
(Used as a venue for four events: handball, field hockey, volleyball, and Japanese-style archery)
|October 1964||Hosts the Games of the XVIII Olympiad (used as the second site)
Gymnasium ………………… wrestling ring
Indoor ball court …………… volleyball court
Track-and-field ground …… soccer field
1st, no.2 ball sports ground and supported sports ground……… field hockey pitch
|March 1965||Completion of the rubber baseball field|
|July 1966||Completion of the pool (with a grant from the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC))|
|August 1967||Hosts the 1967 Summer Universiade in Tokyo (venue for volleyball)|
|May 1970||Completion of the cycling course|
|August 1970||New construction of the regulation baseball diamond|
|October 1993||Establishment of the training center under the stands of the track and field grounds|
|October 1993||Establishment of the Olympic Memorial Gallery|
|April 2010||Consolidation of the Metropolitan Komazawa Olympic Park Management Office and Metropolitan Komazawa Olympic Park General Sports Ground Office into the Metropolitan Komazawa Olympic Park General Sports Ground Service Center. The Park Station is changed into the Park Office.|
Present-day Metropolitan Komazawa Olympic Park
General Sports Grounds
After the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, land that was used for a parking lot was converted into two rubber baseball field, and the volleyball practice courts were converted into eight tennis courts. Additionally, in July 1966, a pool was constructed thanks to a grant from the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC). The volleyball facilities were used as a site for the 1967 Summer Universiade in Tokyo. In August 1970, a regulation baseball diamond was constructed. With the establishment of the training room in April 1988, the shape of the present-day General Sports Ground with its 12 facilities was complete. However, use of the pool was halted in 2011 due to its deterioration.